Communications professional with diverse writing experience for business, academia, and individuals. Author of the blog Life on the North Coast at patwashington.blogspot.com. Have written, co-written and/or copyedited numerous training and instruction manuals, brochures, bulletins, reports, articles, newsletters, and client resumes. Have studied raw data and written subsequent reports. Strong collaborator; able to extract information from many sources, synthesize it, and convey it clearly, concisely, and completely. Long-term positions include:
Calvary Assembly Church. Created communication and marketing materials by copywriting, and designing digital and hard copy documents, and selecting artwork. Continually updated website. Redesigned weekly newsletter. Created and implemented protocol for electronic filing that resulted in easier and more efficient information retrieval and better communication flow. Instructed coworkers in best practices of electronic filing and retrieval, and basic software use. Willoughby Hills, OH. 2006-2014.
Bicron/St.Gobain. Copyedited and desktop published dosimetry user manuals (instruction manuals on how to use hardware and software created for the measurement of thermo-luminescence). Solon, OH. 1992-1999.
BP Oil Company. Designed, co-wrote and copyedited employee training manuals. Cleveland, OH. 1991-1994.
Tutor, Reading and Writing Process
2000 - 2007. Tutored elementary and junior high students. Explored and used various curricula. Taught a six-week expository writing course to middle school students using my own curriculum (Fall 2003). Tutored clients (foster children) of Bellefaire Jewish Children’s Bureau, Cleveland, OH (2004-05).
1989 - 1990. Wrote feature articles and spot news for the daily newspaper, The Star Beacon. Also shot news photos for publication. Beat included Ashtabula City, two villages and 17 townships. Ashtabula, OH.
* clear, concise writing
* social media savvy (blogs, Facebook, Twitter)
* knowledge of AP style
* proofreading and copyediting
* internet research
* digital photography
* extensive work in MS Windows and MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher
* ProShow Gold, Picasa, PhotoStory 3, Adobe Elements, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
* learn new software quickly
Education and Awards
BA, English. Concentration: Writing Program. Kent State University, Kent, OH.
* Photography and Poetry Exhibition: Earth, Wind, and Light. Waterloo Studios, Cleveland, OH. June 29th-July 20th, 2013.
* Interviewed by National Public Radio’s State of the Re:Union program and chosen to record my reading of my Dear Cleveland letter for the program’s feature on Cleveland, Ohio. Recording released for broadcast September 19, 2011.
* Awarded honorable mention and inclusion in the chap book, Dog Days of Summer for my submission, Sweet Heat. Found at www.notfromhereareyou.blogspot.com. 2010.
* Annual Western Reserve Spring Writers’ Conference. Lakeland Community College.
Kirtland, OH. 2008.
* Website Authoring Course, Lakeland Community College. Kirtland, OH. 2008.
* Ongoing study in writing and photography.